A Swede who lives in Finland and who is lost in Euroland - the wonderful world of Eurovision
There is always some matter to discuss or just a song I want to share
Very welcome - I hope you'll like it here!

Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Semi 2: 13 Sweden

For some reason, that I really failed to put my finger on so far, some of the loudest eurovision fans online don't want Sweden to do well this year.

Maybe they think it is too soon for Sweden to win again. Maybe they think Sweden has grown too influential within the EBU. Maybe they would like to travel somewhere else.

Some may even have taken issue after reading about that time when Måns Zelmerlöw made a few less tactful comments concerning homosexuality - something he has repeatedly apologised for since.

All of this will probably matter very little once the televoting masses are let loose. They will know very little about these things and care even less. They will see a charismatic and convincing performance of a hit-friendly and strong song and are likely to vote like crazy.

And then the tiny details for the record. No, I am not biased - I don't automatically support Sweden, something the readers of this blog should be aware of. Yes, I think the song is good also without the visual presentation. Yes, I think this is the most likely winner of the whole big shebang in Vienna.

Qualifier:
Yes, without a doubt. And my jaw will drop should it place lower than third in the final.

My grade: 5/5



Måns Zelmerlöw - Heroes (Sweden 2015)

1 comment:

  1. We've had an abundance of Swedish entries with titles that in one word try to convince us that they are either Heroic (twice), Popular, Euphoric or Invincible, and I would have welcomed a song from Sweden with a little more meaningful title.

    But it is almost the only thing that I can say against this entry. Even without the visuals from Melodifestivalen (which I hope SVT and ORF will manage to bring to the Viennese stage as well) the song is catchy, well structured, well performed and modern without being too modern for a traditional pair of ears like mine. With the innovative visual effects it is one of the best entries of the era of Eurovision Song Contest with two semi finals.

    Måns is also a likeable and confident performer without the arrogance (his sympathetic interaction with the drawn figure helps a lot) that sometimes irritates me in the Swedish performers.

    So I second your opinion that this song is a very likely winner, particularly this year which at this point sounds to me a rather weak Eurovision year.

    ReplyDelete