A Swede who lives in Finland and who is lost in Euroland - the wonderful world of Eurovision
There is always some matter to discuss or just a song I want to share
Very welcome - I hope you'll like it here!

Saturday, April 4, 2015

Semi 1: 04 Netherlands

It seems to me that many people are very keen to like the Dutch entries after they finally became successful again after many years of consecutive semi final failures. I'm the same, I've been listening with very forgiving ears, really wanting to like this one.

I do like this one. It's a breezy and pleasant little song, well sung and with an easily retainable hook.

But I can't shake the feeling that the Dutch really expected us to like whatever they served us this time around, making it rather easy for themselves. The song is good but never lives up to its full potential. Under-produced and under-developed.

A snappier arrangement could have made a big difference, now it feels like it isn't progressing much or building up to anything special. The chorus is good but very repetitive and leaves poor Trijntje with pretty little to work with.

In a parallel universe - like on the radio - this isn't a problem at all. Instead it makes a song easy to fit into a playlist, you can fade up or fade out at any point and it will suit most kinds of programming. At Eurovision you have exactly three minutes to impress people and that would be easier with a more outstanding song.

Qualifier:
Borderline. I would want to see it in the final, but it could easily end up in 12th place with some medium points from here and there, without being anyone's favourite.

Grade: 3/5



Trijntje Oosterhuis - Walk Along (Netherlands 2015)

1 comment:

  1. I agree that the Dutch have returned to somewhat of their hey-day and are making a real push to win - it's about time. I find this song to be catch, and sufficiently country-pop-rock mix to be different from the rest of the ballad-fests.

    Doesn't stand out, but my ears like it.

    ReplyDelete