A Swede who lives in Finland and who is lost in Euroland - the wonderful world of Eurovision
There is always some matter to discuss or just a song I want to share
Very welcome - I hope you'll like it here!

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Rise and shine, sleepy head!

These days, every time I hear this song I think it is morning and I have to get out of bed. It has a very vivid, captivating and energetic intro. Perfect to act as alarm call in the morning.



The Milestones - Falter im Wind (Austria 1972)

Not only is this song responsible for waking me properly every morning and make sure I don't oversleep appointments and meetings. It is also, according to me, the best entry Austria ever sent to Eurovision.

It is a very complex and sophisticated composition, very laid back and with a distinct hippie/flower power flavour which was a fresh approach back in the early 70's.

It is also unusual in the sense that its chorus is rather brief and only comes back twice. Instead the hook is included in the arrangement: in the very present acoustic guitars and, above all, in the flute break.

The trick paid off and the juries awarded the Austrians with a fifth place in Edinburgh. ORF didn't care - they had already decided in advance to drop out of the ESC, regardless of the outcome.

It wasn't the first time, and, as you all know, it wasn't the last either.



The Milstones - Falter im Wind (Funky preview clip!)

No comments:

Post a Comment