A Swede who lives in Finland and who is lost in Euroland - the wonderful world of Eurovision
There is always some matter to discuss or just a song I want to share
Very welcome - I hope you'll like it here!

Monday, April 25, 2016

Semi 2: 15 Norway / Icebreaker



Norway has done so well in recent years, first with the edgy electro of Margaret Berger and then with two more unusual ballads. This year it seems they wished to gel these two successful genres into one song. Regardless if the styles were compatible or not.

The Big Thing about this song is of course the tempo change. Just as you think it is going to plunge headlong into a wave-your-hands-in-the-air-chorus it suddenly slows down and turns into a ballad chorus. I found that very confusing at first and don't doubt many will share that sentiment.

Now I heard it many times and the tempo change isn't confusing anymore. Problem is I still don't like it. It comes as a disappointment every time. Agnete is good and makes up for a lot of my disappointment but not all of it.

Qualifier:
I think so, yes. In a year where many songs sound very similar, anything that the audience can hold onto to and remember you by is good. Even if it is something that annoys them.

My grade: 2/5



Agnete / Icebreaker (Norway 2016 preview clip)

No comments:

Post a Comment