A Swede who lives in Finland and who is lost in Euroland - the wonderful world of Eurovision
There is always some matter to discuss or just a song I want to share
Very welcome - I hope you'll like it here!

Monday, April 11, 2011

Songs only I like: Greece 1988

Inspired by my series of songs that only I and no other sensible people alive seem to like, my dear friend Kris reminded me of this song. It hadn't even crossed my mind, but he made me remember what a fantastic and uplifting entry this is (maybe he didn't use those exact words).

After 1987, when their own high expectation resulted in a disappointing tenth place, the Greeks were left with the feeling it didn't matter what they sent, the jury would reject them anyway. And so they decided to send this to represent them in Dublin.



Afroditi Fryda - Clown (Greece 1988)

It is claimed that the jury was reluctant to select a winner out of the songs in the national final, suggesting a Greek withdrawal instead. The preview was partially made up of images from old commercials and the song was never commercially released apart from on the 1988 Eurovision sampler album released in Norway on the Continental Consult label.

In Dublin, Afroditi Fryda and her backing group met little enthusiasm and the song ended in 17th place after gathering a humble ten points.

However, it did recieve the first three points ever awarded to Greece by their neighbours in Turkey.

I always like it, however. There was something sad and enchanting about the whole thing, and I found a strange melancholy in the very same ha-ha-ha's most people would be more likely to describe as manic.

I was sorely disappointed when I first saw a translation of the lyrics and found nothing of the multi-layered, enigmatic words I had hoped for and found a rather flat and nonsense-like lyric.

But I prefer to turn a blind eye to such small things. I wish Afroditi Fryda and her dancing friends all the best. I hope they look back on their Dublin experience and remember a fun-filled week and that they cherish those ten points - seven more than Finland managed to score.

Do you like it too? I highly doubt you do, but if so - please leave a comment. Both I and Afroditi would appreciate it.

1 comment:

  1. Not only do I like this song - I love it. In fact I consider it to be the saviour of the whole 1988 edition, together with Laissez briller le soleil.

    For some reason, I consider 1988 to be the weakest year of the 80s. Not only in Eurovision but generally in the entire field of music. (Not to mention the 1988 Melodifestivalen!) What happened? And why?

    Still: Bravo Afroditi!!!

    ReplyDelete