A Swede who lives in Finland and who is lost in Euroland - the wonderful world of Eurovision
There is always some matter to discuss or just a song I want to share
Very welcome - I hope you'll like it here!

Saturday, December 12, 2015

December 12: Guðrún Árný Karlsdóttir

The 2006 Icelandic final must go down as one of the strongest ever. Loads of really great songs and some really fine performances if I remember correctly.

I get why Silvia Night won. I like her madness and her offbeat presence and the humour not quite everyone in Athens managed to detect.

But still. Had it been about the song and the song alone, then this one should have won. This is the one that stayed with me for all these years, the one that just keeping getting better and better.

Exquisitely simply staged and beautifully sung. And a hook to die for.



Guðrún Árný Karlsdóttir / Andvaka (Iceland NF 2006)

1 comment:

  1. So right mate! As a Greek man, I had high hopes for ESC 2006, which would take place for the first time in my country. Gradually all chosen songs in NFs were being average at best. Until I heard this one...and stayed speechless with the raw emotion it unveiled. Unfortunately, despite the high hopes Icelanders chose Sylvia Night...What can a person in his right mind say?

    ReplyDelete