A Swede who lives in Finland and who is lost in Euroland - the wonderful world of Eurovision
There is always some matter to discuss or just a song I want to share
Very welcome - I hope you'll like it here!

Monday, March 14, 2011

Belarus changed their entry

When Belarus presented their first entry, I was amazed by how much bad taste you could assemble in a mere three minutes. Then, as the original song proved to be a year too old to be eligible and had to be replaced, they came up with something even worse.



Anastasiya Vinnikova - I Love Belarus (Belarus 2011)

Subtle, eh? The mere thought of the aggressive regime in Minsk getting three minutes of global air time to celebrate themselves and their "free" nation is nothing short of appalling.

I don't want Belarus out of the ESC - au contraire, I think it is important that they get to see at least one show per year that has not passed through the local censorship.

Of course you can disregard the political aspect and just see it as a fun piece of trash, but this song is laughing in the face of basic human rights and democratic values. It laughs in the face of the people thrown in jail for no other reason that entering the presidential elections.

Like it if you want to. I can keep from laughing.

2 comments:

  1. Well, I think that Belarus had just no other choice. I may missunderstand the song but I what I get from it is a promotion of Belarus. Albania did the same, they used Aurela's video to promote Albania after the political troubles there.
    Anyway I dont see anything negative in that but yeah, its so bad when you see the politics affecting indirectly to the festival.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a shame, because it *is* a catchy tune, if a little short on lyrics...

    ReplyDelete