A Swede who lives in Finland and who is lost in Euroland - the wonderful world of Eurovision
There is always some matter to discuss or just a song I want to share
Very welcome - I hope you'll like it here!

Monday, August 1, 2011

Tobson Ranking: #13 Sweden

Now I will disagree with every school kid in all of Sweden but Eric Saade doesn't quite make it into my top ten.



Eric Saade - Popular (Sweden 2011)

I applaud Sweden's recent attempts to shake of the burden of the old schlager, to take a more youthful approach and send in something more contemporary and commercial.

I also hear that there is a contagious chorus here - perhaps more of an ever-repeating hook rather than a real chorus.

I also see the squirrel eyes of Eric Saade, how much he wants to impress everyone, how badly he wants to do well.

I also see why many people resign to the whole package and has this as their number one of the year. That's all fair and square, but I don't like it that much.

It leaves too much a taste of plastic in my mouth to be a real favourite for me. Also, it is aimed at a completely different target group where I don't belong, and it doesn't move me like that.

However, I am very pleased that it did well and that Eric Saade got a real merit to bring home and put on his shelf. I have a feeling Swedish media won't be easy on him once the Eurovision adventure is over, and even if he can be a bit over confident and arrogant in interviews, the lad would deserve better.

Hopefully it is enough to be popular with the people if not with the press.

My grade: 3 / 5

No comments:

Post a Comment