A Swede who lives in Finland and who is lost in Euroland - the wonderful world of Eurovision
There is always some matter to discuss or just a song I want to share
Very welcome - I hope you'll like it here!

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Tobson Ranking: #22 Russia

This could have worked. But if you want to be the likeable guy, you must start by being likeable. Take note, Alex dear.



Alexey Vorobyov - Get You (Russia 2011)

When it transpired that Russia had bought a song from Lady Gaga songwriter RedOne, I suspected we could all be heading back to Moscow again. But no. Even top class songwriters have less inspired moments, clearly.

It's not all bad, the song. It has a catchy little chorus going on and a clever hook - "I know you want me to" (or is it "I know you want me too"?) sticks efficiently in your mind.

But young mr Sparrow has nothing of what you would like a popstar to be. He's confident, I'll give him that. But over confident is not an attractive trait.

Instead of charming, he is over excited, as smug as the Belgians and altogether quite unpleasant.

Hard to want instead of hard to get. If he's coming to get you - lock your door and put a cupboard in front of it. This song could have gone far with a better performer.

Let's see if that message broke through to Russian television for next year.

My grade: 2 / 5

1 comment:

  1. I remember seeing him perform at the Amsterdam preview party. For some reason I took an immediate dislike to him - he didn't come across as a nice guy.

    ReplyDelete