A Swede who lives in Finland and who is lost in Euroland - the wonderful world of Eurovision
There is always some matter to discuss or just a song I want to share
Very welcome - I hope you'll like it here!

Sunday, June 5, 2011

ESC 2011: did you enjoy Düsseldorf?

Hello all...

I hope you all had an excellent time with the 2011 Eurovision Song Contest, whatever way you watched it. On location, in front of your telly, with your laptop on your knee.

I know I had an excellent time.

The only really bitter little taste is that I had to sacrifice the blog in order to do my job properly. When I had made the news articles, the web tv, the columns and the radio reports I was all out of words.

It is a bit silly to have a eurovision blog on and then drop it when the season moves into top gear. I would have loved to be here and discuss more with you, dear readers, the development, the acts, the performances and the predictions.

Well, I also know that a fraction of you out there has the same need as I do. We need a eurovision blog the most when the season is at its slowest. Some place to turn to when nobody else wants to hear about Eurovision but you still want more.

So I will take the blog up again, slowly, and keep it going for the summer, waiting for the next season to start.

Hope you are still here, some of you, and please tell me... What did you think about the 2011 ESC? Who was your favourite? And why? Please leave a comment and brighten up my day.

3 comments:

  1. Well, the show itself was quite standard. I would have expected more from German television. The presenters were silly as they usually are these days. The fans in the hall makes a lot of noice, but the hosts have microphones, so they don´t have to shout ALL the time! The standard and the performances of the songs were overall good. Hungary was a disappointment though, which showed off in the final score. Azerbaijan was ok, but nothing more. A good radio song, but quite forgetable. Great to see Italy making a fabulous comeback! And the fans will keep the debate regarding the voting system more alive than ever, he-he...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back! I agree that these kind of blogs are a good place to hear and discuss about the whole 55 years of Eurovision history when we are healing from the Post Eurovision Depression. The Düsseldorf contest is discussed in many venues, but I still love to hear about everythine else ranging from the old Eurovision indents, strange and forgotten songs from the past to the different ways to conduct an orchestra or different ways for the hosts to say "Good evening europe". So I am very much looking foreward to see what subjects you come up with.

    I think the contest in Düsseldorf was ok, and I was particularly delighted that for the first time for what it seems like ages the Finnish song looked good and sounded good and did good (third in the semi is a good result).

    The winner was ok, nothing more. If the song had had at least something (apart from the singers) from Azerbaijan, it would have been more exiting. Now it was another power ballad bought from the Swedish supermarket of eurohits.

    What now is exciting is to see what the Azerbaijan will make out of hosting the contest. I don't know (who does, please give us some insight) too much about the country, but I gather they should have enough oil money to arrange the contest, but I guess it is so far the most pritive and less democratic country to host the show.

    So will they go and buy the whole thing from Sweden again, or will we actually see something new and exciting next year? Or is the Azerbaijan society just too undemocratic for the EBU to cope? We'll see.

    Mikko

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, enjoy your blog. Don't worry about being 'out of words' during Dusseldorf as fans had plenty of material then. It's now we need to have thoughts, reviews etc. Must say I enjoyed the show but really thought Azerbaijan's entry was just a little too bland to be a winner. Didn't rate Italy until the week of the show, it seemed to really come together on the night and blew me away! Am really rating Raphael's album now, it's fab! Pity it didn't win..... My faves were Germany (what a cool, modern song, amazing performance) and UK (thought Blue were very good and Duncan is great eye candy!) I was glad my own country (Ireland) made the final and Jedward made an impact. 8th place was about right.....

    ReplyDelete