A Swede who lives in Finland and who is lost in Euroland - the wonderful world of Eurovision
There is always some matter to discuss or just a song I want to share
Very welcome - I hope you'll like it here!

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Semi 1: 12 Moldova

After his feisty performance in Baku, Pasha Parfeny felt the urge to write a slower number for one of his backing singers, showing that he can pull off ballads as well.



Aliona Moon - O mie (Moldova 2013)

Pasha is a good songwriter and this ballad is building up nicely for a big finish. Aliona Moon is a likeable presence and delivers well in a dress inspired by last year's Azeri entry. This is a good entry and Moldova usually does well at Eurovision.

And yet...

Yet I have a feeling that this entry could face problems. Is this the first song to become one ballad too many in this semi? Will it stand out enough to be remembered by the televoters? Is it startling enough to remain in people's minds?

And even though I like the idea that the Moldovans change their lyrics and opt for singing in their own language, I will surely miss the line about the Maya not being so wrong after all.

Qualifier:
Perhaps. I would definitely select it for the final if I was in charge. I'm just not entirely sure Europe will.

My grade: 3/5

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you about the language.

    In Romanian language it sounds so beautiful
    (like italian it's very nice to sing).

    In English I can't stand listening to this song.
    Bad pronunciation and the words sound a little banal,
    it's all about love, the old story.

    ReplyDelete