A Swede who lives in Finland and who is lost in Euroland - the wonderful world of Eurovision
There is always some matter to discuss or just a song I want to share
Very welcome - I hope you'll like it here!

Sunday, April 13, 2014

Semi 2: 04 Georgia


I really don't know what happened, but I - who always says it is better to be original than ordinary, better to be brave than generic - had a first listen to the very non-stereotype entry of Georgia and understood nothing. Thought it was pretty hopeless. Then I changed my mind a little bit.



The Shin & Mariko - Three Minutes To Earth (Georgia 2014)

Remember how far from impressed I was last year when Georgia took the safest of routes and commissioned an entry from winner Thomas G:son instead of writing a song of their own? I should be thrilled by the prospect of having a jazzy folkloristic yoik written by local musicians - instead I scratched my head, wondering if the version I heard possibly could have been played in reverse by mistake.

There is an abundance of tempo changes and sophisticated little musical thingies I wouldn't even know the right word for. It is clever but also confusing and easily makes an unfocused listener a bit seasick.

I went from thinking this was the worst song in the running to quite liking it. Intriguing, to say the least. But in all fairness I might like the idea and the ambition more than the actual song.

Qualifier: No, unless the Georgians in exile really get their act together and vote a big black hole in that German switchboard. Too complicated, too demanding, and too little of a melody line.

My grade: 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment