A Swede who lives in Finland and who is lost in Euroland - the wonderful world of Eurovision
There is always some matter to discuss or just a song I want to share
Very welcome - I hope you'll like it here!

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Semi 2: 12 Hungary

Ever since their latest comeback in 2011, Hungary has developed an intriguing taste for well-crafted and quirky quality pop songs that add a certain spice to the contest. This year's entry is no exception.



ByeAlex - Kedvesem (Hungary 2013)

At a first glance, I found the Hungarian winner slightly disappointing, un-catchy and lacking most kinds of punch or attack, but soon enough it opened up like a flower. Like a big, beautiful, rare flower.

ByeAlex is not like any other performers in this line-up. Understated and almost introvert, whispering his ode to his loved one in smooth, poetic Hungarian words. Light, artistic and appealing.

To my big surprise I am far from alone in liking this gentle and pleasant little effort, and if Hungary keeps up to this standard also in the future they could grow in to being the quality guarantee that Poland used to be back in the day.

Qualifier:
Yes, if there is any justice in the world. But this one could also be the critic's darling that passes way over the heads of the televoting masses.

My grade: 4/5

3 comments:

  1. In the Hungarian final, it was the televoters rather than the jury that loved this . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. Hungarian televoters - though. I hope the pan-european ones will still get this one, I'm just not convinced it will happen.

      Delete
  2. The Finns might get this, but maybe for the wrong reasons. I don't know if you have spotted this, but the Hungarian language sounds rather funny to the Finnish ears. They don't have familiar sounding words like Estonian, but the use of umlaut vowels make at least me smile. Höklököö kölklököö hölkösöm hölökyn kölökyn should make any Finn vote for this entry.

    ReplyDelete