A Swede who lives in Finland and who is lost in Euroland - the wonderful world of Eurovision
There is always some matter to discuss or just a song I want to share
Very welcome - I hope you'll like it here!

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Semi 2: 03 FYR Macedonia

For some time, I was convinced FYR Macedonia would be one of my favourites this year. Then they had a change of song and I had a change of mind.



Esma & Lozano - Pred da se razdeni (FYR Macedonia 2013)

To have a living legend and iconic superstar like Esma Redžepova represent you at Eurovision should qualify as a major accomplishment and something to be proud of. Somehow I get the idea that these people do not share my sentiment.

The original song choice was pop-goes-etno by the numbers, predictable but good and easily accessible, placing Esma firmly in the centre of attention, using Lozano more as a sidekick. Like it should be.

The new song, then? Biggest problem - it isn't really a song. It is two songs crammed into one without fitting together the slightest. Lozano does a generic Balkan ballad thingy without any disturbing amount of conviction, then Esma crashes the party with a very ethnic breakdown.

I've been trying really hard to like this song but to no avail.

The transition between the two parts is about as smooth as two trains crashing into each other. The last chorus, where they are trying to merge the two parts together is not pretty at all.

But the worst thing is still that the new song diminishes Esma, who finds herself reduced to a special effect or an ethnic alibi. And that's no way to treat a Lady.

Qualifier:
No. This is too much of a mess to hit home with a wide audience.

My grade: 1/5

5 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you! The original song was maybe kitch, but really effectful in its genre, with the diva in the centre. This second effort is just pointless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The conservative rhetoric behind this song really bothers me. The way gender roles seem to be used to form an image of modern Macedonia: Lozano – safe, competent, inoffensive; Esma – impulsive (she appears to barge on stage, as if a mother embarrassing a child), emotional. It's concerning. As you said, at least in Imperija she commanded the song (even though I didn't like it much either), now she's a prop.

    Esma should be Eurovision Queen (sorry Verka), not an accessory. She deserves much, much better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard the original FYROM entry nor did I know how big a star and icon Esma is in his home country, so I have listened to the song with no preconceived ideas of what the song should be like and how the Lady should be treated.

    I think that this song has a strong melody and Lozano interprets the song. A traditional balkan ballad it is but not a bad one at all.

    I'd actually prefer the song without Esma at all. They should give a song of her own next year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What I don't understand is this current trend for some countries to year after year have a national selection and then changing the song few months later.

    Either you have a national selection or you don't. If you are not confident in the choice, don't have a selection at all and choose the song internally.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's the weird thing. They did select internally. They just changed their minds....

    ReplyDelete