A Swede who lives in Finland and who is lost in Euroland - the wonderful world of Eurovision
There is always some matter to discuss or just a song I want to share
Very welcome - I hope you'll like it here!

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Sweden, semi 1: Tobson predicts

It is the time of the year when the biggest circus in Euroland starts, apart from the grand final itself come May, the extravaganza known as Melodifestivalen, the Swedish national final.

A total of 32 songs will fight it out, in four semis and one Second Chance round, for ten place in the big final in Globen in March.

The first eight go into battle tonight and SVT has released both minute-long video clips from early rehearsals as well as full length audio clips on their webpage and this is how I find them.

1. SEAN BANAN - Sean den förste banan
I used to have an acute allergy towards humour entries in the Eurovision, but the adorable Verka Serduchka from Ukraine shook that out of me once and for all back in 2007. So that is not the problem here. I hear how catchy this is and how the hook plasters itself all over the place in my brain's musical centre, and yet I'm not particularly impressed. I just thought there would be more to it than this rather internal joke. A good opener, and most possibly a finalist, but not a wise choice for Baku.

2. ABALONE DOTS - På väg
Soft and competent country-scented and low-key, like a whisper sung in close to perfect key. A lovely little song of the kind that Sweden never votes for. As chanceless now as it ever was before.

3. THE MONIKER - I Want To Be Chris Isaak (This Is Just The Beginning)
The complete anti-thesis of his multicoloured effort from last year - an understated little tune that leans against a shy little violin in the verse and then starts dancing around more happily in the chorus. It could be just the title and all, but it gets me thinking of the (slightly catchier) "I Want To Meet Bob Dylan" from last year's Estonian final. I like it, but ten minutes later I can't remember a single note of it. Not a good sign.

4. AFRO-DITE - The Boy Can Dance
Ten years ago, Afro-Dite were commercially successful and highly anticipated winners of the first melodifestival sporting the current format. After the flop in Tallinn (hey - everything is relative, back in the day Sweden counted anything outside top three as a failure) their success came to nothing and time has not been very kind to "Never Let It Go". What was intense and fabulous back then now leaves a taste of dust in your mouth. And there lies their problem this time around - this is nicely tailored and energetic, but nowhere near as engaging as it would need to be. There are other comebacks the audience would long more for than this one.

5. DEAD BY APRIL - Mystery
Metal with sharp edges in Melodifestivalen? Not a bad idea, really, as Sweden - just like Finland - is never completely averse to a piece of rock with attitude. It is just surprising that the metal never turns particularly spiky in the end. The gargling (a grawl, I think is the scientific term) has promise in this domain, but the rest of the package is surprisingly void of attitude. Instead of a tiger's roar we get a kitten's hiss. Oh dear. Not too scary if you ask me.

6. MARIE SERNEHOLT - Salt And Pepper
Let me state two things at once: I think "The Boy Does Nothing" is an enchanting little track that makes me want to dance and I absolutely adore the entire being of Marie Serneholt. Blend these and you should have an entry to knock me over, but eurovision algebra is never quite as easy as that. It takes more than mambo to move me, and something is missing to make this upbeat little number memorable. Marie sings she is looking for spice - here is salt and pepper aplenty but not beef. Too bad.

7. THORSTEN FLINCK & REVOLUTIONSORKESTERN - Jag reser mig igen
My father was always a big fan of Swedish troubadour Fred Åkerström, who never entered Melodifestivalen (and who would probably have preferred being eaten alive than do anything of the kind). The vocals of this entry are surprisingly similar to Fred Åkerström's, but while he would invest himself in a song, actor Flinck plays the part of a singer. Too much acting but not enough of a plot. And self-pitying lyrics about how hard it is to be famous do very little for me.


8. LOREEN - Euphoria
The sky-high favourite among bookies, journalists and fans as well as with the audience poll after last night's dress rehearsal, Loreen is set to take revenge for missing out on the final last year. With it's exquisite arrangement and tasteful production it also stands out as my clear favourite of the week. But there are still clouds blocking the sun. Loreen's biggest disadvantage last year was her inability to go through the screen - will she manage this year? Will the Swedes embrace this kind of slick dance track despite never really doing so in the past? I would love to see this in the final, but the flashing lights in the back of my mind tell me not to be too sure.

Knowing that Sweden will throw itself over its first semi like mad and vote until their telephones bleed, I get a feeling the two finalists will be songs that hit home with the masses rather than with me, songs that will work better in the local charts than in Eurovision.

To the final I predict Sean Banan and Dead By April. I wouldn't choose either of them, but I have a nagging feeling that humour and some metal will attract votes tonight. Loreen and The Moniker will find themselves in Andra Chansen.

As for the fifith place, the awkward spot where you almost made it, it could be anyone of the others but I think the notority of Marie Serneholt could help her mambo this far.

Personally, I would gladly reverse the whole thing and send Loreen and The Moniker to the final (and Marie to Andra Chansen) but I have my doubts.

This is my truth, now show me yours. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment