A Swede who lives in Finland and who is lost in Euroland - the wonderful world of Eurovision
There is always some matter to discuss or just a song I want to share
Very welcome - I hope you'll like it here!

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Semi 2: 07 Ireland / Sunlight



After two consecutive years getting stuck in the semi, RTÉ had had it and scrapped their national final. Good idea. If there is one national final that should have been scrapped years ago, it is the Irish one. Or at least it would need a serious reboot.

Instead of any reboot the Irish decided to internally select Nicky Byrne, former global pop star with Westlife as well as a prominent figure in RTÉ's own broadcasting. That came in handy.

The thing that really surprises me here is that the internally selected entry sounds remarkably much like the kind of song that would have won the Irish national final anyway. And then get stuck in the semi. Why didn't they use this opportunity to find something fresh and new and exciting instead of this really dated production?

Qualifier:
No. This one feels like a song destined to end in 12th place on a Thursday night.

My grade: 1/5



Nicky Byrne / Sunlight (Ireland 2016 preview clip)

4 comments:

  1. Guess you don't know who this singer is and what he has achieved in a certain group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I know who he is. He's not bad. But the song is very square and disappointing. You can correct me when my prediction turns out to be wrong. :)

      Delete
  2. Being Nicky from Westlife will have little impact on the Eurovision stage. The song is OK, personally I quite like it, but Nicky isn't a great solo performer and he doesn't have the ability to lift this song to another level. This will do well to qualify and even then it's finishing very low in the final in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being Nicky from Westlife won't matter in the final in my view, in the semi when the viewership is lower it can. Essentially Ireland 2012 is my current prediction. I never said it would do well overall I just said its at least borderline from a song point of view but when you bring in the west life factor its hard to overlook it.

      Delete