A Swede who lives in Finland and who is lost in Euroland - the wonderful world of Eurovision
There is always some matter to discuss or just a song I want to share
Very welcome - I hope you'll like it here!

Wednesday, May 10, 2023

ESC 2023, semi 1: what about the songs that left us?

The first semi final is over, we have ten new songs for Saturday and much more of an idea what this year's final could shape up to be. A few surprises because there had to be: there were more than ten songs tonight that would have deserved to qualify.

In my own prediction I got 8 out of 10 finalists correct and I have to be pleased with that. There were a bunch of songs that felt like they were drawing lots for who would proceed and who would flunk.

MALTA is my biggest disappointment. The band put up great energy and I find that saxophone hook really catchy. What a shame it didn't pay off to go for a song written by domestic songwriters, I really hope they won't go back to buying C-level Melodifestivalen rejects in coming years. Maltese songwriters deserve this chance to show off their craft abroad.

I'm equally sad about LATVIA. This was a quality entry performed in good voice and - at least by the end - pretty decent camera contact. I'm not really sure why Latvia keeps getting it wrong or what they should try for next year. Would it be time to do an internal selection and see if that would pay off better.

IRELAND deserved every inch of their NQ, I'm afraid. A very square and formulaic tune performed with zero conviction by a singer who couldn't even be bothered to pretend to sing the high notes.

AZERBAIJAN fills me with very conflicting feelings. Again I would have wanted to like it when they finally went for a local product again at long last. But while the boys were charming, their song was nowhere near strong enough. Every time it threatened to go somewhere it would stop and start over.

The NETHERLANDS had a very pretty song but already during the performance I know it was Game Over. While the duo hit their notes better than they had in the lead-up to the contest, they still seemed deeply insecure and it was anything but pleasant to watch and listen. 

As for the show, the BBC put on a really good show where great attention had been paid to graphics, inserts, interval acts and postcards. It all looked fantastic on my tv. However - and I will have to watch again before using too big words here - I'm not sure the directing of the entries was always the best possible. 

I'm also pleased how present Ukraine was in every heartbeat during the show, that was very well executed all throughout.

Time for bed - on Thursday we find ourselves another ten finalists.

No comments:

Post a Comment