A Swede who lives in Finland and who is lost in Euroland - the wonderful world of Eurovision
There is always some matter to discuss or just a song I want to share
Very welcome - I hope you'll like it here!

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Tobson Ranking: #43 Belarus

This can't come as much as a surprise to anyone who read my review after seeing the preview of this year's entries. I think this is nothing short of dire, from beginning to end.



Anastasia Vinnikova - I Love Belarus (Belarus 2011)

As you may have sensed by now, I am not a big fan of propaganda. It is OK to flavour your song with a tiny pinch of patriotism if you have to (honestly, I'm not a big fan of that either), but there is a clear line between patriotism and propaganda.

I wouldn't cheer for any song on a theme like "Sweden is the sweetest", "Totally Turkey" or "Belgium is the best". And I certainly won't cheer for a song claiming that the Belarus regime is fun-loving and adorable.

And to be perfectly clear - even if we removed the political dimension, this would be a pretty rotten entry. Over-choreographed and badly sung, with a chorus so simple it borders on primitive.

The performance also suggests that everyone involved know what a weak song this is, and try at every cost to distract the viewers with fire, pyro and other things.

For me, this is clearly the worst entry of 2011. I would not be too sorry if I never heard it in full again.

Grade: 0 / 5

1 comment:

  1. Addictive ditty - nothing more than soulless tack

    ReplyDelete