A Swede who lives in Finland and who is lost in Euroland - the wonderful world of Eurovision
There is always some matter to discuss or just a song I want to share
Very welcome - I hope you'll like it here!

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Tobson Ranking: #37 Slovakia

This is a mystery I will never get my head around - why do people go to Eurovision with a song they are unable to perform properly?



Max Jason Mai - Don't Close Your Eyes (Slovakia 2012)

I really thought Slovakia had done the right thing this time and sent in an entry that would stand out by a mile and gather all the rock votes. The preview version sounded very promising, combining the heardest piece of rock heard at Eurovision since Kabát entered the stage in 2007 with a most melodious chorus.

Maybe not entirely my cup of tea but a sure qualifyer, I thought.

Then the rehearsals started and long turned my face as the long-haired Slovak proved totally unable to deliver the notes required. At first I thought it was a case of bad nerves, but no improvement came along during the week and the live performance sounded just as unconvincing as the rehearsals. And a pretty edgy rock entry was scattered to pieces and left in ruins.

I still hope Slovakia won't take this defeat personally and withdraw from the competition. This failure was nobody's fault but their own.

My grade: 1/5

No comments:

Post a Comment