A Swede who lives in Finland and who is lost in Euroland - the wonderful world of Eurovision
There is always some matter to discuss or just a song I want to share
Very welcome - I hope you'll like it here!

Sunday, March 1, 2015

Sweden: fourth semi roundup

Sweden has sometimes been quite predictable in this game but lately - perhaps after the unexpected success of Ace Wilder - the Swedish public seemed to develop a healthy taste for some Saturday night drama.

I followed the Finnish final yesterday, but could tell from my Twitter feed that there was some massive collective jaw dropping going on as the results came in.

For the second week running, one of the obvious qualifiers according to most, lost out and had to content itself with a spot in the Andra Chansen heat. For a while, SVT managed to make quite a few people doubt that even red hot favourite Måns Zelmerlöw had made it to the final. Well played. Good television.

JTR taking the final spot instead of Hasse Andersson was indeed a surprise. A lukewarm boy band with a lukewarm song beating a seasoned veteran possibly means the young JTR fans use the voting app more skilfully than Andersson's older fan base.

Måns made it to the final and rightly so. I must admit that the song is more similar to David Guetta's "Lovers On The Sun" than I find comfortable, but still "Heroes" is my melfest favourite of 2015.

I like the way it refuses to be instantly likeable, how it needs some breaking into, how it's not your typical eurosong. This in combination with the irresistible charm of Måns makes this the perfect package. If I discovered how much I had missed Magnus Carlsson, it's nothing compared to have much I missed Måns.

Not convinced it is a winner. Not in Vienna, perhaps not even in Sweden. But it's my winner. And the only song out of this week's seven contenders to really make an impression on me.

Tobson's current top 3 in the final:
1) Måns Zelmerlöw / Heroes
2) Magnus Carlsson / Möt mig i Gamla stan
3) Isa / Don't Stop

No comments:

Post a Comment