A Swede who lives in Finland and who is lost in Euroland - the wonderful world of Eurovision
There is always some matter to discuss or just a song I want to share
Very welcome - I hope you'll like it here!

Monday, April 16, 2012

The 2012 review, part three

The review goes on, this time with the four songs performing in the spots 11 - 14 in the first semi final.

11. SAN MARINO



Valentina Monetti - The Social Network Song

I think I have made my opinion on this song pretty clear in the past, so I will try to be brief here. Out of all the things that are horribly wrong in this entry, what pains me the most is how cynical and calculating the people behind the whole thing have been. If you don't have a good song, then try to be a bit controversial. Mention something "new", "modern" and "youthful". Mention "sex".

An abomination more than an entry. San Marino was so nice last year, whatever happened on the way from Düsseldorf?

Qualifyer:
Surely not. My jaw would not drop if this one ended with nul points in the semi.

My grade: 0/5

12. CYPRUS




Ivi Adamou - La La Love

Sometimes when a song gets thrown at you, you will just want to rub it off and never hear it again. Sometimes it starts growing on you and you will start liking it a lot. In the last couple days, the Cypriot ditty has grown from an OK dance entry to a full-fledged candidate in my eyes.

I still think the song consists of a collection of bits and pieces that don't necessarily fit together, but I feel more and more confident that Ivi and her team will make this work. Unless she falls into the Kate Ryan-trap of trying too hard, she could be a pleasant surprise in the final.

Qualifyer:
Yes. This song has the same kind of hit potential as Romania and I refuse to think that Europe will let this one get lost so early in the game.

My grade: 4/5

13. DENMARK



Soluna Samay - Should Have Known Better

Just like Greece, I think Denmark has stretched their formula a bit further than I would have wished for, trying similar things over and over again during the last years. Therefore, I am genuinely happy that the Danes sent in something different this time. This is a piece of simple but appetising radio pop with a soft and laidback feel to it. Catchy in a pleasant understated kind of way.

But then there is the stage presentation that ruins the whole thing for me. Who are all these people in the backing group? Why are they all trying to take the focus away from the lead singer? If they don't get this show properly on the road, the Danes could find themselves bitterly disappointed in the end.

Qualifyer:
Possibly, but that would require work. The televoters have not shown any mercy with acts that mess up their own presentations, and Soluna has a lot of cleaning up to do in her own act.

My grade: 2/5

14. RUSSIA



Buranovskiye Babushki - Party For Everybody

This isn't quite Christmas Eve for vocal perfectionist and perhaps this is not the sharpest entry in competition this year either. But who cares when the Udmurt grannies are so adorable and overall fantastic? Even the cats and dogs are invited to their party, and I'm sure the televoters will want to join in as well.


Qualifyer:
Yes. Of course. The tv-viewers will love this entry, especially in the semi. The juries might be a bit less amused, and in the final the grannies might have to content themselves with a placing further back. As if that would matter a single bit? Come on and dance!

My grade: 4/5

3 comments:

  1. I getting allergic to Autotune enhanced singing voice, and Autotune seems to be the trend this year. If you can sing in tune, why enhance your voice so that it sounds like a robot singing? If you cannot sing in tune, give somebody else a chance.

    Both Cyprus and Romania seem to use autotune so extensively that it hurts my ears. I am afraid what their singing voice sounds like on stage, where you cannot use autotune to correct you singing out of tune. Or can you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot, Valentina Monetti also uses extensively the Autotune. But it this time it fits, an artificial voice for the artificial song...

      Delete
    2. Well, when it comes to autotune... It isn't used mainly to correct singing anymore, but as a calculated effect put there because people like the sound of it. Like when pop was new and the studio people added echo and distortion that the radio technicians supposed had ended up in the final mix by mistake. Like it or not, but I think it is a sign of the times and not an indication as to whether somebody can carry a tune or not.

      Delete